Thursday, November 12, 2009

Enough - another go at it.

This morning I was struck again by the word enough.

Ben and I were on our way up to Mill Creek to pick up Client C and then get them both to work on time. As we zoomed up the road I was listening to the radio. Normal. Nothing unusual about that. HOWEVER! This time what I heard reached in, grabbed my heart and gave it a serious twist. Ouch!

A couple weeks ago, my friend Angie told me about a book she'd read that was really fabulous. When I got back home, I got online and purchased the audio version. During my walks, I've been listening. OH! The name of the book! It's "The Hole in Our Gospel" by Richard Stearns.

This week we got an unusual gift catalog in the mail... this one has live animals, seeds, fruit trees, fresh water and meds and... you can donate money to help provide these things for others in this world of ours who really REALLY need them. http://www.worldvision.org/

And you know, God's been talkin' to me about what constitutes "enough". Enough food, enough clothes, enough stuff...

So, I'm listening to the radio... boppin' up the road, goin' to get C and... OUCH!!! The radio station is hosting a "Rice for Cambodia" campaign. They were talking about this village where the elders were rationing out the rice to each village member. They made sure that everyone got one handful of rice each day.

ONE HANDFUL A DAY!? ONE HANDFUL A DAY!????

My mind raced back to my kitchen counter where a big cooker full of brown rice is cooking, it zipped over to the fridge that's FULL of beans, salsa, soy milk, veggies, fruit... and then zipping again, out to the freezer that is packed full and the outdoor refridge and...

ONLY ONE HANDFUL A DAY!???

Oh Lord! And to think I was feeling so smug this morning about having my weekly $$ for groceries. I can go down to any market and buy anything and everything on my list and we'll add to my --- ENOUGH!!!

A 50 lb bag of rice costs approx $10 and includes a kilo bag of iodized salt. A ton of rice costs $400 and feeds 40 families for a month. 

Our monthly food budget is more than enough to feed 80 (EIGHTY!) Cambodian families for a month.

I cried. And I made a call. 1-800-355-4757  Positive Life Radio - Rice for Cambodia  http://www.plr.org/

I didn't give nearly enough.

Okay, FatherGod, show me more. Soften my heart and teach me YOUR ways.

ONWARD!!!!

1 comment:

dave said...

wow