This project is part of a monthly class that I signed up for at our local quilt guild. The pattern is SOOoooo BEAUTIFUL! It's Judy Niemeyer's Glacier Star
I decided to make this quilt in honor of our 35th wedding anniversary that is coming up in August. It will NOT be done by then but... it'll be well started. OH! And I'll not just do this wee little 60"X60" model. Nope. I'm doing the extended version that will make it big enough for our queen-size bed. Oy.
Now, I consider myself a relatively advanced seamstress and quilter. I can do most everything with a sewing machine and fabric, no prob. The pattern is done using foundation paper piecing, a technique I've only dabbled in & that was years ago, so I was really excited!
Our first class was on Mother's day. (the next is on Father's day. At least it's equitable, huh? LOL!)
But OHMYWORD!!! That first class was a BEAR!!! I thought I was gonna DIE. I'm pretty sure I was the class idiot. To be sure, I kept making more and more stupid mistakes. Frustrating! (what's that verse about pride going before a fall? :-p )
The teacher is very kind, patient and helpful. She bailed me out of all my scrapes and showed me how to bail out myself later. (Good tricks!) And like most teachers, she sent us home with homework. Rough cut all your fabrics as per the instructions and finish the rest of the 8 Unit E blocks (I only finished 2 in class) and the rest of of the 8 Unit S blocks (I did ONE in class! This is what it looks like from the side you stitch on. AURGH!!!)
Over the course of the last few weeks, I messed up even more. While I was doing the rough cutting I butchered one piece of fabric...oh well, I have enough... and then butchered it again. NOOO!!! Out to Joann Fabrics again. Didn't have THAT print. And wouldn't you know it, that was the print that I'd used in the two Unit E blocks that I'd finished in class. SWITCH-O-CHANGE-O
Those two blocks are a waste. I had to start over. Pooh! But the good thing? And there IS a good thing. I really like the new fabric that I bought to replace the butchered one better! Lots better! Other then those two lost blocks. FABULOUS!
I found out from the teacher how much more fabric I'd need of a few of my prints to make the extended size. Well, I had all that I needed of all but two of the pieces. And of those, I would need to get more. The dark espresso brown is here at a local quilt store. (No, I haven't gone to get it yet. Praying that it will work out, ya know!?) The other I bought at a Joann Fabrics in Spokane. Fabric can MOVE out of those stores! I was nervous. And rightly so... Long story short... I went to 5 different Joann's and NONE of them had that particular print. Okay, Switch-o-chang-o again. And, thankfully, again I like this new fabric MUCH better! In fact, I LOVE this one. It goes with the other prints so much better!
The replacement prints are pictured above with the others. The sand looking tan on the top row right end and the gold leafy print (LOVE) next to the floral focus fabric. I just love all these fabrics. I swoon every time I see them. SWOON!!!
Yesterday, I got in a panic. Father's day is coming up! I want to do this quilt, I really do! And, while I have finished the cutting part of the homework, the piecing part?... NOT!!! And remember! I now have 16 blocks to figure out and finish! Woe is ME!!!!
I set to it. Focus. Sticking to it. Paying attention to what I was doing, and paying attention to the written instructions (but only when needed! LOL!) Before noon today...
I GOT IT DONE!!!! All my rough cutting is finished, stacked by the week the pieces will be needed and bagged!
All the Unit E (the big ones) and Unit S (the little ones) blocks are finished.
HAPPYDANCING!!!! And you know what? It really wasn't that hard. I think I might have been freaked out for nothing. Could that be? ;-)
Now, I need to start planning and packing for the rest of the week. On Tuesday, the younger kids head up to to Spokane to work at their school for a week. On Wednesday, Sid and I will join them there because it's CAMPMEETING time! Two of my favorite speakers will be speaking and I can hardly wait! Our 2nd son will be "vacationing" in Pendleton with my sister and her family.
Planning and packing! I'd better get off here and get busy! ONWARD!!!!!







1 comment:
Arline, I wish you lived closer..I just inherited at least FIVE tubs full of quilting fabrics from my mom, who got them from a lady she worked for as a caregiver. She wasn't really a quilter, but she wanted to be. Sadly, she passed before she could give it a go. Hopefully, I will be able to do something with all of it.
Your fabrics are all just beautiful...I can hardly wait to watch your progress and see your quilt come together. It will be priceless, for sure!!
Post a Comment