Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Bungee Jumping in the Buff

I wrote all this last night but was falling asleep, literally, in the proof-reading stage. HA! I saved it to finish this morning.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{{Shout out to Devan and Jason! I love the new hat, Jason! Can't wait to meet you, Devan}}
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wicked title. LOL! I thought of it in the middle of the day. HA! It's perfect.
I was born a nudist. (don't be alarmed, everyone was.) However it became apparent, early on, that modesty was important for a great number of reasons. As I get older the list of reasons increases. LOL! But there was a time, a short period of time, when the conditions were perfect and skinny-dipping was the only way to bath. (long story, but I got to live a bit of what "homeless" is about) That didn't break my heart! I LOVED it! LOL! What freedom! It was fabulous!!!!!

HOWEVER, the nudity I'm talking about tonight isn't the physical kind. I'm talking about a level of vulnerability. About layin' it all out on the line. Not much, if anything, hidden from view. All is exposes. Nekkid. No cover-up, no pretend, no show, no games. All the cards on the table. Take it or leave it.
And the bungee jumping? Doesn't the very thought give your heart a lurch? It sure does mine. Talk about risk! Talk about trust! HolyGuacamole! To fall forward, head first... free fall... To FLYYYyy, trusting that that stuff tied onto your ankles WILL indeed stop your earth-bound decent before there's a SPLAT! Big feeling of risk! Fear, "what if...", adrenaline RUSH! But ohhhhhh! That feeling of flying! Wouldn't it be worth the risk?
And you probably have guessed that I'm not talking about the literal bungee jumping, either. You're SO good! LOL! You can read me! (I'm not sure *I* can do that from time to time!) I'm talking about taking the risk. Trusting that it's all going to be okay. It'll be great!! Trusting that it WILL be worth it.

Today I did a bungee-jump in the buff. :) I invited a new friend over to my home. My house is a mess, but I chose NOT to clean up before she arrived. I let it be. There is pet hair dancing around on the slightest breeze, skittering across the floor. And dirt and mud that the two and four legged creatures that live in this house tracked in. There are dishes that need washing, laundry to do, vaccuming... You get my drift. I sat down, picked up my knitting and waited.

I remember my childhood. Appearances and the keeping up of them were very important. We never left the house until we looked our best. Company wasn't invited over unless the house had been cleaned to the white glove level. And even if that meant staying up really late the night before. What would company think if they saw...? (we didn't have company much in my younger years)

What if this person sees my worst side? My real worst. Will she still like me? Or is she going to RUN? I'm not wanting, at this point in my life, to play games. I want her to like me, but not if the me she sees is just the gussy-upped, plastic perfect... Nope. This is how it is. About as bad as it gets. If she likes me after this... we've got a truer friendship.

And I took this risk. Bungee jumped an invite and did the free fall as she looked around. As I showed her my home, even the room-from-heck. The messiest room in the house. My "studio"... Good luck waking thru it! I was free falling as I opened that rooms door, throwing it back, fully open. She said, "Ohhhh, what a horrid mess! I wouldn't change it one bit." HA!

The outcome is worth the risk In the aftermath. I know that I can be really real with this friend, warts and all, and she'll still like me. No need to worry or fuss. Just fling open the door and say, "Come on it, my friend! It's so GOOD to see YOU!" I can relax, without worry. It's not my surroundings, my hair, my floors or ... none of that really matters. She like me as is.

Well worth the jump. Try it!! LOL!
Yes, I know. I'm nutz! ;) But I'm enjoying the ride!

Here's are a few snippets of my worst chaos. LOL! FREE FALLING! Bungee jumping again!

3 comments:

dave said...

Didn't you even clean the toilet?

dad

Arline said...

LOL!!!! Yes, I did! Trying to make a habit of that to avoid a set-to with the health dept.

arutherford said...

Arline,
I follow your Dad's blog and thus discovered yours. Hooray!

I love, love, love your title!

Second, I never clean before guests come over. I frequently have 2-4 friends over for dinner and when they worry that I've gone to too much trouble, I proudly tell them that I make it a habit to never clean before company....because I want them to feel at home. ;-} I'm sure it is a backlash from growing up with a wonderful but fanatically clean Mother.

And guess what? Folks love to come to my house. They say it's warm, welcoming and peaceful. Yep, that it is.

Third, I look forward to regularly reading your new posts and getting caught up with your earlier posts.

Peace,
Ann
http://something2say-ar.blogspot.com