Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Happy Birthday, Young Man!

I've been sick since the weekend and not feeling energetic enough to do much but sit, lie around and sleep. Today I picked up my knitting again and my camera... Loveliness! I think I'm on the mend.

And today was SPECIAL day. It is our youngest's 14th birthday. Anti-climatic for him, to be sure. Mom is sick. No birthday cake, no big surprises. But I'm a believer in the concept of celebrating for the days before and the days after, any time in the month and we'll make it happen.

Today was a day of strange contrasts. Memories of the wee baby in my arms followed by the reality of a man child who is too big to sit in his momma lap any more. What he likes now as opposed to what he liked a few years ago. Now he wants a long board and unicycle. He loves history (same as me!) and math (NOT me, but like his dad)

This morning, we sat side by side and watched a documentry series on Auschwitz. When his dad came home from work, he went downstairs and watched "Hogan's Heros" with Sid. How's that for contrast!? Reality and comedy. How does that work?? Weird contrast. Strange and in my mind, wrong. I did a wiki-search and discovered that 5 of the actors that were in "Hogan's Heros" were Jews who were either in the concentration camps or escaped from Hilter's men. Interesting and more interesting.

So, the photos!!! 
Our fabulous 14 year old, taken this morning while we were sitting together.
 Happy Birthday, Boogie! ;)


 
My current knitting project.

Garter-Stitch Blanket designed by Elizabeth Zimmermann

This shot explains what I'm trying to do. LOL! Thus far I've knitted one "A" and I've past the first corner of a "B"... I've got a long way to go before I finish the two "A" units and the two "B" units and... I want this to fit on our queen-size bed with a nice drop over three sides, so I figure it's going to take at least 4, if not 6 of these four piece units to do the job. LOL! I'm in for a long haul!

It's interesting that I've gotten a lot of knitting done today since I wasn't busy click-click-clicking on my virtual farms. LOL! No surprise. Onward with that! I've not been tempted in the least to take it back up again.

ONWARD!!!

1 comment:

dave said...

Onward indeed.
There must be some error, Matt cannot possibly be that old!
Sorry you have not been feeling well.

dad