The reason for this wondering is that I've pretty much discounted my lifes artistic endeavors because I have based it on the thought that it had to be about paintings, ceramics, scupture and the like. And that hasn't been much a part of my life.
I've made lots of stuff, true enough. LOL! I wish I had a picture of everything I've made. Really. I have pictures of the knitting that I've done over the last year and that is a WONDERFUL way to look back and count up.
Sewing, quilting, beading, knitting... working in the yard, figuring out what goes where and what colors, etc. when we rebuilt this house. All those thing have elements of creativity. Some lots, some little. My knitting isn't usually creative as much as it is a craft. My skills improve with practice and I can see that at some point I'll have an understanding of knitting like I have with sewing and then I can just wing it. LOL! That'll be fun and funky!
There are somethings in life that aren't creative. Let's face it. Doing the dishes? Scrubbing the toilet and tub? And yet... Why not! I'm beginning to wonder if the elusive creative is attitude mix with action.
I think I need to get over the worry over not being creative. It's such a bowl of bunk. Heaping full and running over. LOL!
The bottom line is that I need to change my glasses and start seeing things in a different light. Create beauty with each breath. Every waking moment. Just let it flow. See it for what it is and enjoy the moments.
This is an afghan that I whipped up in a couple weeks, as a gift for my mother-in-law. In this picture it's damp and spread out flat to dry. Without doing this it's a funky knitted blob. Jessie is in the picture to get perspective on the size of this thing. It turned out very soft and lovely.
This one makes me laugh every time I see it. And, of course, there's a story behind it.
On Wednesday night, when my knitting friends get together, there is often the latest yarn purchases to show and tell. Some of the yarns out there are absolutely delicious and I've often suggested that perhaps I should bring a bib, because this beautiful stuff can make me drool! I'd hate to mess up their beautiful new yarn, ya know? Well, one day I came home and thought... Huh! I should MAKE a bib, as a joke, you know? The next morning I started rootling around looking for the right materials to make a bib out of and I suddenly thought of this stretchy t-shirt fabric bag that I had. The words on it and the picture are SOOOooo related to the subject at hand. Yarn! Fiber! Bamboo, cotton, soy... all these and more are used to produce yarn so.... Here's what I came up with. This is HUGE! It fits me shoulder to shoulder and...
the knitters loved it! They howled with laughter!



1 comment:
Even the most creative endeavor involves a whole lot of craft. Once a piece of "art" is designed the rest is just plain old fashioned work.
We used to hope that the "art faerie" would come into our studios when we were gone and finish our work, but alas they were not reliable!
Much of what I have done my life, that might be considered art, is like that.
"Brilliant" idea. Sketches on the back of something and then a lot of hard work.
Keep going, you are one of the most creative souls I have ever met.
Post a Comment