Sunday, December 27, 2009

Espresso Afghan

The latest project that I finished was the Espresso Afghan for our son and DIL, David and Mandy.

A year plus ago, Mandy sent me this picture out of a Pottery Barn catalog. "Arline, could you make this darker brown and without the tassels?" I don't know, could I? ;)

Mid-October I finally found and special ordered the perfect yarn. Bulky washable wool in DARK brown. By the first of Nov. I was hard at it with a deadline of Dec. 18th. That would leave enough time for it to travel via USPS and arrive in time for Christmas.

I didn't make the deadline. And yes, I cried. LOL! But I pressed on and took the last stitch about 4:30am on Dec. 24th. Now, it's packaged and ready to be shipped tomorrow, Dec. 28th. Maybe it'll be at their home in time for New Years? We'll see.

ANYWAY, here are some pictures. Pictures don't do it justice. They can't show "SOFT" and "SUPER-COZY". They don't show warm and "can I just stay under this thing forever?!" LOL!

Merry Christmas, David and Mandy! I hope you enjoy your Espresso Afghan for many Christmases to come. BIGFUZZYESPRESSOHUGS to you both.

This first picture is the one from the Pottery Barn catalog. I showed the picture to our local knitting Queen ;) and she helped me find the stitch pattern.

The afghan in this picture has been "blocked" and/orpressed to lay flatter with its stitches stretched out. I chose not to do that with the Espresso Afghan. I wanted it to look like it will right after it would come out of the washer and dryer. It's made out of machine washable wool. It won't have to be pampered, hand washed or dry cleaned. It's for living with.

Okay, here's pics of the one I made.



Folded corners


Close-up Texture


Ready for shipping


Another close-up


Opened up and stretched out - 48" X 72"

The final clean-up

The lint-picker knitter in Husband's bathrobe. HA!

5 comments:

dave said...

I have seen the afghan and it is stunning. Lots and lots of really good yarn and hours and hours of steady work.
Stunning it is.

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful!

jdrop said...

That's incredible! How did you figure out the pattern? I love it and would like to make it myself (or at least try to!). Did you pull the pattern from another site? Amazing job.

Arline said...

I had a picture of a Pottery Barn afghan which I took to a dear friend who is an expert (that's putting it mildly) knitting. She looked at it and went searching in her stitch books and found the stitch pattern in Barbara Walkers 2nd Stitch Treasury book. It was a breeze (a LONG blowing breeze) from there.

jdrop said...

Did you end up doing it in panels or just knit the whole thing row by row?